Careers at 10:10
We have a vision for a low carbon Britain that has been built by, and belongs, to everybody.
Come help build it.
Digital communications officer
Contract: 1 year, with possibility of extension.
Salary: £22,800 - £26,550 pa depending on experience.
Location: Camden Town, London.
Hours: 32-40 hours/ 4-5 days per week (negotiable).
Deadline: 10am, Monday the 12th March.
Interview dates: 20th-23rd March.
Hi, we’re 10:10 – we bring people together to do bold, beautiful things that help tackle climate change.
Got a way with words? Social media whizz? Love talking to the public? Problem solver? Adore data? Care about climate change? Think tech is awesome, but engaging the public with it is even better? We’re looking for a new digital communications officer, and you could be just who we’re looking for.
About the role
A key copywriter for 10:10, you’ll bring the sparkle that intrigues our supporters, catches the eyes of new audiences and motivates everyone to take more action on climate change.
You’ll work across our campaigns - from tree planting to solar railways - offering you a chance to engage with a lot of different people, in a range of ways. You’ll run our social media accounts, help us write and send emails, produce content for our website, answer supporter enquiries and generally keep an eye on how big, diverse and engaged our audiences are. You’ll also help us develop a picture of our audience and the ways they choose to engage with us, collating data from our CRM, Facebook, Google and more.
You’ll report directly to the communications manager, working alongside our press officer and creative lead, as well as the director of communications. You’ll also work closely with campaigners and fundraisers. It’s a small office, and everyone works together.
Supported by the rest of the team, you’ll take a proactive approach to increasing and diversifying our audiences, developing strategies for engaging hard-to-reach groups. You’ll also be expected to contribute to general marketing, media, outreach, fundraising and campaign strategy. And everyone in the office chips in to make the tea, take out the bins and do the washing up, so there’s that too.
You must have:
- Copywriting experience, preferably in a campaigning context, with a lively, clear and inspiring style.
- Experience of running social media accounts in a campaigning or marketing context (i.e. this can be voluntary work, it didn’t have to be paid, but it can’t just be your personal Instagram).
- Experience of producing supporter mailouts, calls to action and/ or fundraising asks.
- Basic coding skills - you don’t need to dream in Drupal, but you shouldn’t be scared of a the odd HTML tag.
- Demonstrable commitment to tackling climate change.
If wouldn’t hurt if you had some of this too (but don’t worry if you don’t, we can train you up):
- Experience of designing, undertaking and analysing surveys.
- Experience of Facebook analytics, Google analytics, and/ or Facebook advertising.
- Experience of Blue State Digital or equivalent CRM.
- Knowledge of climate change communications, public engagement with science and engineering, and/ or the UK energy system.
Here at 10:10, we have a vision for a low carbon Britain that has been built by, and belongs, to everybody.
To get there, we dream up projects, build tools and spread success stories to make sure everyone has the help and inspiration they need to play a role in tackling climate change. Our work cuts carbon, but because we work on a cultural as well as technical levels, we get people talking about climate change action too. We want our projects to be infectious, so it is always about more than just a solar panel here, or an LED there - it’s about groups of people working together to change the world.
As an organisation, we’re also committed to our culture. Organisational culture away days keep our values and principles alive and we work together to keep our team as supported, empowered and cared for as possible. We’re run by a team of directors rather than one single CEO, and we’re committed to reducing hierarchy wherever possible.
If you have any questions about the job or 10:10 before you apply, email alice[at]1010uk.org.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10am, Monday the 12th March.
- Save the CV and covering letter as two separate attachments.
- Put “digital communications officer” in your email subject line.
- Keep the covering letter to under two pages, and make sure you speak to each of the must haves, as well as any wouldn’t hurts you might have.
- As well as that, we’re keen to hear why you want to work for 10:10, why you think you’re suited to the role, and what you think you’d bring to the team.
- It’d be great if you could let us know where you heard about the vacancy too.
- When it comes the CV, it should should tell us your qualifications and training, previous experience (paid or voluntary), and point us to some references too. It should be about 1-2 pages.
If you haven’t applied for many jobs like this before, and wondering about how to start, we have a blogpost with more advice for applicants.
We would also appreciate it if you could complete an equal opportunities monitoring form. This will be stored separately to your application and is purely to help 10:10 assess and improve our recruitment processes.
10:10 is committed to providing equal opportunities for all applicants regardless of their background. We value diversity whilst also acknowledging that people from certain backgrounds are underrepresented in our organisation. We are keen to correct this, so particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic people; people who identify as having a disability; people from the LGBT+ community; and people who identify as working class (or have done in the past). If you don’t feel confident enough to apply, please get in touch with us for a chat – we’d love to talk to you!
Please note, this job is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Guidance for applicants
Applying for a job at 10:10? Here's what we'd love to see in your application.
25 days paid holiday
(+ bank holidays and three days at Christmas)
Paid volunteering leave
Bike to work scheme
Good maternity and paternity leave
Employer pension contribution
We are a London Living Wage employer
The 10:10 office
Our values are the big things we think are most important. These shape our principles which in turn shape our organisational culture. Read our full list of values.
Trust and respect
Caring and kindness